Police Department


Reporting Crimes

  1. Can I report a Hit and Run Accident online? 
    Unfortunately, you cannot report a hit and run incident online. You should report hit and run accidents on the telephone at (915) 832-4436 within the first 10 days after they occur.
  2. What to do if I don’t see the type of report that I need to file? 
    Please call the Non-Emergency line at (915) 832-4400, or proceed to your closest police station to report the incident.
  3. What information is needed in the report? 
    During the review process, if there is a question regarding a report that was submitted, an EPPD employee will contact the person who submitted the report via email for more information. The facts below are needed to gather the victim information, location, items, time, and summary of the elements of the offense:
    • Who - The victim is the person who the incident has happened to.
    • What – This identifies what is damaged, lost or stolen.
    • When - This is the timeframe of when the offense occurred.
    • Where - The offense location is used to determine jurisdiction.
    • How - This is a narrative explaining the Who, What, When and Where. This should explain how the offense happened.
  4. What do I do once the report is submitted?
    Please wait for an email response in the next few days; which will provide the case number for the report, or will provide further instructions should the information not meet the qualifications for an online report.
  5. What do I do once I receive a case number? 
    The emailed response will also provide instructions on how to request a copy of a report. If you need to follow up with an investigator, you may contact the Regional Command Center in your area for more information.
  6. What if I submitted my report and forgot to add something?
    You will receive the case number via the email that was used to submit the report. Should you need to add more information, and you have not yet been in contact with an investigator, you may reply to the email to provide the supplemental information. If a detective or other EPPD investigator has contacted you about your report, please provide the additional information directly to them.
  7. What if I have submitted my report and I still have questions that need to be answered?
    You may contact the Records Division at (915) 212-4267 to inquire the status of the report request, or for information on obtaining a copy of the report. You should direct any questions regarding the investigation the detective assigned to the case.
  8. Can I file a report on an incident that took place in El Paso County, but not the City of El Paso?
    No; although the incident took place within the County limits, only reports that occurred within the City limits can be filed with the EPPD.
  9. Can I file a report for an incident outside of the City of El Paso limits?
    Only if you are reporting an incident involving Identity Theft. The report will be filed for documentation purposes, and you will still need to contact the law enforcement agency where your identity is being used, for possible investigation. EPPD will not investigate.
  10. How can I get a copy of my police report? 
    Once your report has been reviewed and approved, you will receive an email message providing you with a case number, and instructions on how to obtain a copy of the report.
  11. Why was the report I submitted online rejected?
    The information submitted did not meet certain requirements. The submitter will receive an email informing them of the reason. A few reasons reports made online can be rejected are:
    • It was determined the report had been submitted several times and only one report is needed.
    • The victim did not respond in 72 hours to requested information, therefore the report was rejected.
    • The incident requires a Police Officer because it was one of the following:
      • Family Violence
      • Physical Evidence is to be collected.
      • Theft of Vehicle, Burglary (Vehicle, Habitation, or Business)

Filing a Formal Complaint

  1. What will happen once I submit my formal complaint? 
    All complaints will have a preliminary investigation conducted by Internal Affairs to determine if the employee has violated a law or a departmental policy, procedure, rule or regulation during the incident.

  2. When will a complaint not be investigated? 
    A complaint will not be investigated if the evidence determines no violation and such will be explained to the complainant. A complaint also will not be investigated if it is barred by time limitations and such will be explained to the complainant. If a complaint cannot be investigated, Internal Affairs will retain the information in its files and the Department will consider if non-disciplinary action is necessary.

Vehicle Towing/Impoundment

  1. What do I need to do if my vehicle is towed?
    The owner or the owner’s designee would have to bring proof of financial responsibility and their driver’s license to AD Towing in order for the vehicle to be released.
  2. What happens to the occupants of the vehicle if it is impounded? Will they be left out on the street?
    No, the officers will be entrusted to ensure the safety of the occupants by contacting family to pick them up or drop off the occupants at the nearest residence or regional command center.
  3. Will my vehicle be impounded if I am stopped at a traffic checkpoint? 
    No, you may receive a citation but your vehicle will not be impounded at a traffic checkpoint for not having proof of financial responsibility (insurance).
  4. What are some reasons why my vehicle may be impounded? EPPD officers have the authority to impound (tow) a vehicle if the driver cannot show proof of financial responsibility (insurance).
    Merely being stopped for a violation is not cause enough for your vehicle to be impounded. Some examples of when an officer may impound a motor vehicle are listed below:
    • Being arrested
    • Being involved in an accident
    • Speeding more than 15 miles over the posted speed limit
    • Reckless driving
    • Improper or erratic traffic lane change
    • Following too closely
    • No driver’s license
    • Stop sign or stop line violation
  5. What if I have insurance and just don’t have it at that moment? 
    The officers are to make every reasonable effort to verify the existence of insurance prior to impounding the vehicle which includes checking the state database, calling the Texas Department of Insurance, and waiting for a responsible party to provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance).
  6. Will the officers check by using the Texas Sure program to see if I have insurance?
    Yes, the officers will check through the appropriate law enforcement channels to verify and validate the existence of insurance.
  7. If something should happen where a criminal charge takes place, or an accident where my vehicle is involved, can my vehicle still be impounded if the vehicle is not insured?
    Yes, if the motorist is involved in a traffic accident and without insurance the vehicle can be impounded. If the motorist is arrested for another charge such as a DWI, or outstanding warrants that are discovered during the traffic stop, the vehicle may be impounded.